E-Way Bill was introduced for GST compliance on May Ist, 2018. Interstate transporters were subject to GST on transporting goods above the value of Rs.50,000. Businesses and interstate transporters were engrossed on developing the new E-Way Bill and seeking GST-compliance for the transportation of goods interstate. Tally ERP 9 software is GST-ready and can be used for developing E-Way bills. It is possible to produce E-Way bills online in simple process using Tally ERP 9 software.
While there was ample awareness on the implementation of GST bill and development of E-Way Bill, exemption in GST and E-Way exemptions were lesser known. Better awareness about the exemptions of E-Way Bill are sure to relax the interstate transporters distraught with the new taxations levied on them for the movement of goods.
There are plenty of circumstances when E-Way Bills are not essential. Here are few such situations:
• If your consignment vale is below Rs.50,000, then it is not essential to produce an E-Way Bill.
• Transferring goods from airport to customs station for clearance
• Transportation of goods using non-motor mode
• If you are transporting goods from Nepal and Bhutan as cargo in transit mode
• Transference of goods from Inland Container stations under customs
• Transportation of goods with customs seal
E-Way bills need not be produced for customs clearance of goods
• Transporting goods from a custom station to another one
If the goods are transported from one location to another for customs clearance, E-Way Bills need not be produced.
• If you are transporting goods to distance 20 Kms from the location of the consignor for the purpose of weighing it, then E-way bill is not required.
Bulk goods need to be weighed before transportation. If the goods are transported to the limited distance of 20 Kms, then E-Way Bill need not be produced during such transportation.
• If the consignor of the goods is an authority such as State or Central Government.
• Transportation of containers without goods, of course requires no E-way bill.
• If the consignor of the goods is Ministry of Defence, then it is not necessary to produce E-Way Bill.
• No EWay Bill is required for products listed in CGST Act
The EWAy bills are not required for transporting goods listed under Schedule III of this act.
• For movement of goods within the state to a distance of upto 50 Kms from the location of business to the location of the transporter
E-Way Bill is not required for the internal transportation of good within the state especially if the transportation is between the consignor and the transporter located upto 50 Kms apart.
• Exemption of E-way Bill is available on certain products such alcohol, fuels such aviation fuel, domestic gas, natural gas, pearls, semi-precious stones, precious metals, coral, jewellery making equipment etc. GST is not applicable on these products and they can be transported without producing the E-way Bill.
• Transportation of GST-exempted products
Many food products such as meat products, dairy products, vegetables and fruits, cereals, newspaper and handloom are all exempted from GST and require no E-Way Bill for transportation.
With the application of Tally ERP 9 software for GST compliance and the E-Way bill exemption interstate businesses and transporters are able to cope in the GST regime and its new taxation policy without much distress.